Bronchitis Green: Dry Cough Causes
Whooping cough, scientifically known as Pertussis, is referred to as "cough of 100 days" or "100 days' cough" in many countries, because it can last for up to 10 weeks.
- Prevention is preferable to cure, so quit smoking for your sake and also persons you deal with, as well.
- Acute bronchitis can progress into chronic, when ignored or ill-treated, so will not dismiss your own common colds and sniffles.
Some cases, the underlying problem may be a foreign object stuck in the throat of your pet, while in some, it may be something as severe as a heart disease.
Fennel Tea Made from fennel seed, this drink can be an excellent home remedy to be able to cure a sore throat and cough, both dried up as well as successful. Drinking or gargling along with a cup of fennel tea helps get rid of the irritation in the throat. It assists to bring down the cough and soothes chest pain which occurs as a result of ongoing coughing and clearing of the throat. The fennel seeds are seeped in hot water, along with cardamom and coriander seeds for extra flavor. It is sweetened with maple syrup, and can be had at regular intervals.
Acute bronchitis, in contrast to the chronic one, is not a cause for concern. In most cases, basic self-care actions in the home are good enough for its treatment. Parents are advised to aid their sick child drink more fluids which includes water. Increasing fluid intake, helps to keep the body hydrated, therefore thinning the mucus and making it easier to cough up. It is important that the affected child gets a lot of sleep, since it would help the body heal faster. Aches and pains can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers, but when children are in consideration, consulting a chemist regarding the medication would be a safer option.
Types of Lung Disease
As there are lots of diseases associated with lungs, they could be classified in lots of different ways. With regards to physiologic categories we could say there are three types of lung diseases. They are as follows. Obstructive Lung Disease: This type of lung disease will be triggered because of the obstruction in the airways because of the consolidating or clog. Some of the diseases which are included in this category are asthma, emphysema and bronchitis. Restrictive Lung Disease: This type of lung disease is a result of the inability of the lungs in order to hold the air inside the air sacs. Restrictive lung disease is either due to the decline in the elasticity of the lungs or the enlargement of the chest walls. The last category is for the illnesses which are related to the inability of the air sacs to provide air or to move it to the blood. This results in the lack of oxygen in the blood as well as in the body. List of Lung Diseases.
That is why, a proper medical diagnosis is required to rule out the potential causes, and devise an appropriate treatment plan to manage the condition.
Coughing Up Phlegm?
What's causing you to cough up so much sputum? Could it be pneumonia, bronchitis, allergies or something else? Dr. Bob explains how to recognize some of ...
Chest burning accompanied by coughing bouts could be an indication of a serious ailment and so, dismissing it can be neither wise nor suggested. The lungs are based in the torso area and is one of the most important organs of the body. The lungs are responsible for providing oxygen to the body, that is done by inhaling and exhaling air and converting it into o2. This is then passed on into the bloodstream. They are also responsible for expelling the impure carbon dioxide from the body. Thus, any ailment that afflicts the lungs needs to be given due attention because it immediately has an effect on the breathing in and for that reason our health. There are a number of conditions that can lead to coughing and burning in the chest region. Let us review these and provide you with the solutions of the same.
(Body Mass Index)
O (airway obstruction) D (severity of dyspnea) E (exercise tolerance)Different methods are used to measure these four factors. Whilst a BMI chart will be enough to find out the body mass index of a person, impediment of airways can be assessed using spirometry, which provides the particular FEV1 value. Severity of dyspnea (shortness of breath) is measured as per the MMRC Dyspnea Level, which supplies five levels (0 to 4) on the basis of physical activities that can produce breathlessness. Exercise tolerance is often measured by the 6-minute walk test. The BODE index score can be calculated using the values of these four details. Increased BODE scores are often linked to higher risk of death.
Cough along with mucus or sputum from the lungs, sometimes containing blood lasting for 2 - 3 weeks Weakness and fatigue, along with gradual weight loss
- Symptoms Frequent cough is one of the acute symptoms.
- Normally, the child will suffer from dry cough initially.
- However, after a few days, the cough will bring up mucus from the lungs.
- Often, it is seen that the cough worsens at night, which may make it difficult for the child to sleep.
- Constant coughing can also cause the child to vomit.
- Chest pain while coughing is also a common symptom of this infection.
- You may notice, that the child may have a high pitched noise similar to wheezing, more so, after he has had a bout of cough.
- In some cases, the child may also run out of breath for a short period.
- Normally, acute bronchitis in toddlers does not last longer than 7 to 8 days.
- However, the cough caused due to this lung infection can last for a few weeks.
- Along with the above-mentioned symptoms, night sweats and chills also indicate scarred lungs.
- Along with these symptoms, inflammation in the lungs is also indicative of its scarring.
- In case of lung scarring, it is always better to consult a doctor.
- Proper treatment can be given, only after finding the cause of scarred lungs.
- Lung transplants, drug treatments, and supplemental oxygen therapy are possible treatments.
- Scarring of the lungs is not dangerous in the initial stages.
- However, if the scars become intense, proper treatment is a must.
Fever and Sweating
Chest pain Difficulty in breathing Diagnosis Tuberculosis is diagnosed by undergoing a blood test, skin test, and some imaging tests. Latent TB can be diagnosed by taking a tuberculosis skin test called the Mantoux test. A chest X-ray may be advised to confirm the diagnosis.
Tension: This can lead to complete lung collapse, i.e., both the lungs can collapse. Midair trapped outside the lung struggles to avoid, and hence, the amount of the air collected goes on increasing with each breath. This is a rare condition that builds extreme strain in the chest and may cause jolt, reduced blood pressure, and if it gets more severe and is not treated soon, it could cause death.
- SolutionAvoid overeating, sustain a proper schedule regarding eating, avoid eating hot and spicy and slimy foods and give up smoking.
- Every one of these may help prevent acid reflux.
- For instant alleviation though, utilize antacids.
This is used on people with bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) to prevent bronchospasm. Those with bladder obstruction or enlarged prostate should inform the doctor to get the right dosage. Consuming large dosage could lead to further complications. Atrovent is a known brand name for this medication.
- Contrary to what many people believe, dry coughing at night is not limited to young children alone.
- It is something that affects people of all ages and backgrounds.
Person who works in an air-conditioned office is just as likely to develop its symptoms as someone working in an iron quarry. The thing is, many people tend to ignore dry cough as a seemingly harmless and common phenomenon, hence, the lack of awareness regarding the symptoms, causes, and remedies for the same.
- Clubbing Bulbous development will be observed at the tip of the fingers.
- In the beginning, it will be mild, but will become prominent, and noticeable as time passes.
- Then there are other medicines that are used to alleviate other symptoms that accompany sinus cough.
- Saline nasal sprays are given which rinses off the mucus in the nasal passage and facilitate easier breathing.
- Steroid nasal sprays are often prescribed to control sinus drainage.
- Such sprays bring down the inflammation on the mucous membrane of the nasal passage and provide relief from the congested feeling inside the nose.
- Antihistamine medicines are prescribed for treating various allergy symptoms like a runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
- If there are signs of bacterial infection, then antibiotics are prescribed.
- Once the infection is eliminated with these medicines you can get relief from the annoying cough too.
- Some of these medicines are available over the counter as well.
- Still, it is strictly advisable that you take these medicines under medical supervision only.
Causes Tuberculosis is caused by a bacterium called the Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and can spread from one person to another through the air. Symptoms.
Get your pet immediate medical help if he shows the following symptoms, apart from a gagging cough. Fever Foul breath Excessive drooling Heavy panting Coughing up blood Difficulty swallowing Unusual lethargy Red and swollen gums Spitting up white foam Gums with a bluish tinge Anxious for no apparent reasons Pain in closing and opening the mouth Chronic diarrhea and vomiting Constant pawning at the mouth Persistent nasal discharge for over two daysCoughing and gagging in canines may not always be indicators of poor health.
Walking Pneumonia Signs and Symptoms When you hear the term strolling pneumonia, the very first thing that tends to come to your brain is long and tiring nights that need to be spent in a medical center. It is because, pneumonia is actually a serious, often life-threatening lung...
- However, if these symptoms keep showing up, get worse, or are accompanied by other abnormal symptoms, then they should raise an alarm.
- Using any kind of home remedy or medicines to suppress or manage these symptoms in your pet, may lead to unpleasant or even dangerous situations.
- As a responsible pet owner, the best you can do for your pet is take notice of his illness, and take him to a vet at the earliest.
- Coughing is the body's natural response to get rid of something that is irritating the airway.
- In most cases, your dog may gag and cough because of a tight collar or simply because he is aging.
Gagging cough in your pet may point towards the following factors. Foreign Objects Often, a foreign object may get stuck in the throat or esophagus of your dog, causing him to gag, cough and retch. Such episodes, however, do not usually affect breathing. The following objects are usually responsible for such incidents:
SolutionTo get this into control, quit smoking if you're straight into the habit of smoking and try to protect yourself from the experience of these harmful substances. Other than that, medication varieties just like bronchodilators along with other types of pills or even steroids may be prescribed to be able to cure the particular burning chest pain.
Treatment and Recovery The previously this condition is diagnosed and treated, the better could be someone's likelihood of quickly recovering from this condition. When the person has been going through shortness of breath and chest discomfort, one must seek advice from a health care provider right away. Doctors will conduct a chest X-ray and arterial blood gas test to diagnose the problem. The duration of collapsed lung recovery period will also vary depending on the amount of air collected in the pleural space and one's state of health. While it's possible to take a couple of weeks to be able to get over a partly collapsed lung, one might take more time to get over a large pneumothorax.
Your own dog has been experiencing a severe, hacking cough which usually seems like something is stuck in their throat, but shows no signs of temperature or loss of appetite and continues to be it's old active self, after that it may have been affected by kennel cough. Kennel cough is almost like the cough which human beings have when they get a torso cold. If your dog is experiencing the same, then you should give it the kennel cough vaccine. However, prior to that, know the causes and symptoms of kennel cough.
Many times, using cough suppressants is not recommended if it is a phlegm producing cough. In such cases, coughing in fact expels the particular phlegm and also reduces irritation. However, making use of these kinds of medicines might prevent this things from coming out of the body and also result in further health complications. So, one should use cough expectorants such as Delsym, Robitussin as well as Mucosolvan to drain the mucus and clear a nagging cough.
What is Dry Drowning?
The term dry drowning relates to the lack of ability of one's lungs to extract oxygen from inhaled air. In dry drowning, a certain amount of water, or any liquid, is present in the lungs, which results in the inability to take in oxygen from the air that is inhaled. It does not mean that the individual died in water, but simply means that there was no or little water in the lungs at the time of death. Hence, the term 'dry' is given. Moreover, it may also take place due to a damage to the respiratory system, and may even be induced by torture which includes waterboarding or repeated submersions of an individual in water, or any other fluid.
Dry drowning in infants and children can also be caused due to muscular paralysis, drinking water excessively (which causes surplus fluid to get into the lung cells), inhaling a gas other than oxygen for a long period of time, and a puncture injury to the torso. In majority of dry drowning cases, when the person has been in water for a considerable period of time, a very small amount of liquid is found in the lungs during necropsy. In children, most victims are those who have been diagnosed with breathing or lung complications. This includes infants with underdeveloped lungs, children diagnosed with asthma, those who have antecedently suffered from pneumonia or any lung trauma like Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS).
- Causes Bronchitis can be caused due to bacteria, virus, or any particle that may cause irritation of the bronchial tubes.
- Acute bronchitis is usually caused due to a virus, although bacteria, smoking, or exposure to certain particles can also result in this condition.
- Smoking is the main cause of chronic bronchitis.
- Interstitial lung disease constitute a group of diseases characterized by scarring or inflammation of the lungs.
- It is due to the lungs getting scarred that the capacity of the lungs to absorb adequate oxygen is greatly affected.
- There are some types of interstitial lung diseases that are caused by inhalation of potentially harmful dust and other particles in the atmosphere.
- They may even be categorized as occupational diseases.
- Know, that when the symptoms are in the initial stages, it is important that you do not neglect the condition, and seek medical aid.
Make sure that there are no further complications. This can only be possible when you receive the practitioners prescription letter. He might put you on a dose of corticosteroids or oxygen supplementation. He may also resort to prescribing you anti-inflammatory like Bretnazone or anticancer drugs to further avoid the deterioration of the symptoms. However, the treatment may not be termed up to the mark.
However, if episodes of coughing and gagging are frequent, persistent, and lessen but recur, then you might have enough reasons to show your pet to a veterinarian. Symptoms such as these may indicate several conditions.
- Lung diseases when left unattended or untreated may manifest through problems in other parts of the body.
- A well-known example is finger clubbing (a deformity of the fingers and fingernails).
Symptoms A prevalent characteristic of chronic respiratory disease is a persistent cough, accompanied by spitting or perhaps throwing out, out mucous. Some other primary signs and symptoms are: These symptoms are similar to additional lung infections and acute bronchitis, however duration or determination is the key factor in identifying chronic bronchitis. At least 2-3 months in a year, the above symptoms can occur, and this would repeat for 2 years.
Bouts of coughing and gagging may indicate a roundworm infection in your dog. When roundworm eggs find their way inside an animal's body, they hatch in the stomach. With the help of the circulatory system, the larvae are then carried to the lungs. Once present in the lungs, these parasites make their way into the air sacs by boring through the capillaries. This activity may cause irritation and a gagging cough.
Bronchiolitis Bronchiolitis is really a pathogenic infection that commonly has an effect on children, however, premature infants are definitely at a greater risk of developing this respiratory problem. Trojans are causative agents for bronchiolitis, and more often than not, it is the breathing synctial virus that is in charge of causing this respiratory condition. Infections that have the effect of causing influenza could also cause bronchiolitis. The viruses can become air-borne when an contaminated personal sneezes or coughs, and also the virus can be transmitted to those who are in proximity to the infected individuals.
- Since the immune system of infants has not developed fully, the symptoms can be quite serious.
- For the same reason, children who have not been breastfed are at a greater risk of developing severe symptoms.
- Though the symptoms are usually mild at the onset, within a few days, the child may develop nasal congestion, severe cough, coughing or a fever.
- Sinus flaring and retraction of intercostal muscles may also happen as a result of labored breathing.
- In severe cases, the child may suffer from respiratory distress as well as the skin may turn bluish due to lack of oxygen.
- Under such circumstances, child may require supplemental oxygen.
- Inhaled antiviral drugs may also be recommended for treating the viral infection.
- It is believed that children who are afflicted by bronchiolitis might develop asthma in future.
- You should talk to your doctor and find out the exact cause of chest pain and breathing difficulty.
- This would help design proper treatment.
- CT scan, chest X-ray, ECG, and so forth. help identify the underlying cause.
The habit of smoking is one of the main reasons why many cough at night. Many years of smoking prompts the body to raise mucus production. This kind of too much mucus production along with the accumulation of dangerous particles brings about recurring coughing which usually gets worse at night.
Eating Too Fast
Wolfing down large portions of food at one proceed, can also lead to problems in breathing. Given that, you eat hurriedly you give little or no time for your lungs to be able to breathe. This limited oxygen is not enough for the digestion of food, you consume. The end result will be shortness of breath, when you are finished with the meat. Therefore, it is important that you eat scaleddown portions of food every time and at a slower pace. Eating your meals often, in small portions maintains several digestion problems at bay.