Bronchitis Schmerzen: Dry Cough in Children
Coughing is the body's natural way of getting rid of foreign substances from the throat and respiratory tract. Given that, an occasional cough is normal and means no harm. However, a cough that stays for several weeks, does signal something severe. A dry cough, also known as nonproductive cough, does not produce any phlegm unlike a wet cough or productive cough. In most children, a dry cough is usually minor and relatively easy to treat. In some cases, however, it may be otherwise.
Dry Cough Remedy for Kids
Mostly, you can relieve your child's cough with the help of some simple self-care treatment measures. However, if your child is an infant, then nothing would be more advisable than taking him/her to a pediatrician.
- The exchange of gases between tissues and tissue capillaries is referred to as peripheral gas exchange.
- The facts presented in this article give us a rough idea of the anatomy and functioning of the respiratory system.
- The information about different organs in the respiratory system should allow you to understand their structure and functions in a better manner.
This is used on people with bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) to prevent bronchospasm. Those with bladder obstruction or enlarged prostate should inform the doctor to get the right dosage. Consuming large dosage could lead to further complications. Atrovent is a known brand name for this medication.
- Laryngopharynx: This part of the pharynx is located below the epiglottis.
- It opens into the esophagus and larynx.
- EpiglottisIt is a flap-like structure (epiglottis) which prevents food or water from entering the trachea at the time of swallowing.
- Honey Research has show that honey is an effective approach towards decreasing frequent bouts of cough that happen at night.
- Honey is completely safe and is often prescribed for children having coughing fits.
- A single dose, as recommended by the doctor, before bedtime can provide immense relief from persistent cough, and allow the child to sleep happily.
- Constipation Constipation may be one of the side effects of expectorants.
- The inability to have smooth bowel movement may be disrupted for a few days, till the individual consumes the expectorant.
- You may also experience diarrhea, a contrary condition, which affects the gastrointestinal system.
- Medicines Tessalon Perles (Benzonatate) is a drug that is prescribed for people suffering from persistent coughing at night.
- This oral medication can suppress and even stop cough caused due to allergies and colds.
- Tessalon Perles is a great remedy for chronic dry cough.
- This drug has been very effective to relieve cough, however, consultation with a doctor is essential before taking this medicine.
- This is because the drug is not suitable for certain medical conditions like asthma.
- Even pregnant women and children less than 10 years old are advised to stay away from this drug.
- The treatment involves insertion of a needle or a chest tube for the suction of the excess air.
- If the condition of the patient is severe, he/she might have to be hospitalized for a while.
- Some patients might require oxygen therapy as well.
- If there is a recurrence, doctors might recommend surgery.
- Make sure that you refrain from any activity that may cause stress to the lungs.
- Since smoking makes one more susceptible to this condition, it's in one's interest to quit smoking soon.
Causes and Symptoms
This is a highly-contagious and common health problem. It is a viral infection which is characterized by the upper respiratory system inflammation. There are several agents which are responsible for this infection. The most common among them are the parainfluenza virus, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and mycoplasma. The former is an airborne virus which is present in almost every dog. This infection usually spreads from one dog to another, especially in a place like a dog show or a kennel. The infection that is present in the lungs of the dog is released into the air when the infected dog coughs or sneezes. If another dog is present nearby, then that dog becomes infected as well. Some of the major kennel cough symptoms are as follows. However, do not worry as there is a vaccine for this illness.
- Pregnancy is a condition, wherein the expecting mother has to be careful regarding her diet and medication.
- Whatever the mother consumes, gets absorbed into her body; and reaches the baby's bloodstream, through the placenta.
- This is how the baby gets the required nutrients for his growth.
- So, if a pregnant woman consumes any medicine, it reaches the baby's bloodstream too.
- This makes it important for the expecting mother to be very careful while using medication.
- Hence, they should avoid use of drugs that are not prescribed by the healthcare provider.
Person who works in an air-conditioned office is just as likely to develop its symptoms as someone working in an iron quarry. The thing is, many people tend to ignore dry cough as a seemingly harmless and common phenomenon, hence, the lack of awareness regarding the symptoms, causes, and remedies for the same.
- Lung diseases when left unattended or untreated may manifest through problems in other parts of the body.
- A well-known example is finger clubbing (a deformity of the fingers and fingernails).
- Peppermint or eucalyptus oils can also be used to treat cough and nasal congestion.
- It is recommended to consult a doctor before using these herbal remedies.
Causes A Klebsiella pneumoniae infection is caused when the organism is able to enter the lungs. They gain entry into the body by eating unwashed vegetables and drinking contaminated water. Most of the time, a Klebsiella pneumoniae infection is very common in patients with underlying diseases like diabetes, chronic lung diseases, chronic alcoholics, etc. It is mostly a nosocomial infection that occurs in hospitalized patients with weakened immune system.
- Consuming foods at night that you are allergic to can also cause persistent cough.
- For instance, many have the habit of drinking milk before retiring to bed.
- However, if they are allergic to dairy products, they may cough persistently throughout the night.
- Home Remedies Inhaling steam is an effective method used to clearing and soothing nasal passages.
- It helps in relieving cough and nasal congestion.
- Corniculate cartilage facilitates the flap-like action of epiglottis.
- TracheaThe trachea, also known as windpipe, extends from larynx to bronchi.
- In fact, the trachea gets branched into bronchi.
- It facilitates the flow of air towards the bronchi.
- Cool mist humidifier or a vaporizer can be installed in the bedroom so that you can breathe properly at night.
- Lozenges, cough drops and cough syrups can be taken without prescription.
- However, it is not recommended to use any over-the-counter medications and drugs in case of babies and children.
Asthma patients may get relief from cough and breathing problems by inhaling corticosteroids. On the other hand, people suffering from bronchitis are able to effectively manage their symptoms with broncho-dilators, medications that help to dilate airways and ease breathing.
Is also very important to drink adequate amounts of water and hot liquids like chicken soup; and take sufficient rest in order to recover quickly.
Lung infections that include bronchitis or pneumonia can also be responsible for causing night cough. Bronchitis, a viral infection, typically brings swelling of the bronchi, tubes that transport air to and from the lungs. The inflammation narrows the air passages, making it difficult to breathe properly. Occurrence of dry or phlegm producing cough will depend on how far the infection has affected the respiratory tract. In case the colonization of the virus remains restricted to the lower respiratory tract, persistent dry cough is the likely outcome. Mucus generating cough lasting for a minimum period of 3 months point towards chronic bronchitis. People affected with interstitial lung diseases and other conditions like idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, bronchiectasis and tuberculosis also tend to cough incessantly at night.
- The gas exchange which takes place between pulmonary capillaries and alveoli is termed as pulmonary gas exchange.
- Movement of gas within pulmonary capillaries, towards peripheral capillaries and back to lungs is referred to as gas transport.
- Teach your child the proper way to gargle.
- Even better, help him/her practice with plain water first.
- Remember to tell your child not to swallow the saline solution but to spit it out, after gargling with it.
Cough, whether dry or wet, can take a lot out of your child's body. Although, you may not always prevent the condition from affecting your child, you can surely reduce the risks. One of the simple ways of doing it is by maintaining personal hygiene, and helping your kids learn to do the same.
- The left lung is divided into 2 lobes (superior and inferior) while the right lung into 3 (superior, inferior and middle).
- Each lung possesses a triangular organ called hilum; blood vessels, nerves, lymphatics and bronchi pass through the hilum.
- AlveoliThe alveoli are sac-shaped bodies present inside the lungs, at the tip of alveolar ducts.
- The alveoli function like an interface for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between lungs and capillaries.
Make a Paste of Basil Leaves and Honey
Give this mixture to your child whenever he/she has a cough. Soak some almonds in water overnight, and the next morning make a paste out of them. Mix this paste with honey, and give it to your child whenever he/she has a cough.
- There are high chances of kennel cough being contagious to people who are in close contact with the infected pet.
- On the other hand, people with a weakened immune system, like babies, children or old people are at a higher risk of contracting the disease.
Compliance = Change in Volume Change in Pleural Pressure Lung Compliance Curve Static and Dynamic Compliance Lung compliance can be classified into two types: static compliance and dynamic compliance. The former represents pulmonary compliance during periods without gas flow, such as during an inspiratory pause. It can be calculated with the formula:
- Drinking lots of water, or at least seven or eight glasses of water everyday loosens phlegm.
- As far as possible, it is best to consume warm water for faster relief from phlegm.
Chronic bronchitis is primarily caused by cigarette smoking, bacterial or viral infections, and air pollution, and long-term fume inhalation. It can also appear as a symptom of asthma, tuberculosis, sinusitis and pulmonary emphysema. Is chronic bronchitis contagious? No. If you have chronic bronchitis, people around you, will not get infected. But you can get chronic bronchitis, if people around you smoke, and you end up inhaling a lot of second-hand smoke. As estimated 9.9 million Americans have been diagnosed, with chronic bronchitis.
This procedure prescribed by many doctors works like a magic wand to stop coughing. You will notice the difference within minutes. Vicks VapoRub when used this way can stop coughing fits within 5-7 minutes, thus allowing the patient to have a good night's sleep. People experiencing persistent bouts of cough at night have found relief for quite some time after covering feet soles with Vicks VapoRub.
Excess mucus production is often responsible for causing chest congestion and persistent cough. Steam inhalation provides an easy way to reduce mucus build up and improve cough. This simple home remedy liquifies the mucus, which facilitates mucus drainage from the lungs.
- Clubbing Bulbous development will be observed at the tip of the fingers.
- In the beginning, it will be mild, but will become prominent, and noticeable as time passes.
Coughing at night could also suggest that the heart is not functioning properly. To be precise, it might indicate the presence of congestive heart failure (CHF). People with CHF suffer from mucus producing cough. The mucus that is coughed up during heart problems is pinkish in color. Besides coughing up mucus, the patient may complain about trouble breathing, racing or pounding heart.
- Dos and Don'ts If cough and congestion is caused due to common cold, the symptoms should clear within 1-2 days.
- If not, then the underlying cause may be severe.
Medication and Pregnancy
So, extra care has to be taken while using medicines during pregnancy. Though you can use the ones prescribed by your doctor, self medication may prove fatal at times. It cannot be said that all medicines are harmful; because, there are some, which are considered safe. Unsafe medicines, when taken during the first trimester, can affect the fetal development, and may result in birth defects. During the second trimester, the nervous system of the baby can get affected. Medicines taken during the third trimester can cause breathing difficulties in newborns.
This is a side effect which has now become a common symptom of expectorants not suiting you. You may suffer from sleeplessness or temporary insomnia, due to which you are drowsy and sleepy during the rest of the day. It is however, necessary that a suppressant be prescribed for the nighttime so that the individual may have a peaceful sleep, as he is not disturbed by the constant spasmodic coughing.
Antihistamines Antihistamines may also help to relieve an allergic cough. When a person is exposed to an allergen, the body cells secrete a chemical known as histamine, which is responsible for causing bothersome symptoms. Taking prescription antihistamine such as Benadryl and 'Robitussin Allergy and Cough Syrup' is effective to stop the release of histamines, thereby helping to reduce or prevent allergy symptoms.
Treatment Gargling With Salt Water One can also get considerable relief from a bad, noisy cough that keeps everyone awake, by gargling several times with warm salt water. Mix half a teaspoon of salt properly into a cup of warm water and then gargle to reduce cough.
Exposure to allergens, which can be air borne particles such as dust and pet dander during nighttime can also lead to sudden bouts of coughing. The immune system considers allergens as harmful substances, and so when they are inhaled, they irritate the respiratory tract. The irritation causes accumulation of mucus in the respiratory tract. To get rid of this mucus buildup, the person may excessively cough temporarily. Apart from forceful coughing, contact with allergens can also cause itchy watery eyes and congested nose.
- Nasopharynx: It connects the upper portion of the throat with the nasal cavity.
- Oropharynx: It is located between the soft palate and upper part of epiglottis.
HUSTEN & SCHMERZEN? BRONCHITIS behandeln & HEILEN – Tipps gegen entzündete Bronchien
Husten & Schmerzen? Bronchitis behandeln & heilen – Tipps gegen entzündete Bronchien KANAL ABONNIEREN: http://goo.gl/dXTly8 Instagram: ...
The larynx, also known as sound box, is formed of cartilages. Epiglottis, thyroid and cricoid are the three important cartilages of larynx; other cartilages present inside the larynx are corniculate, arytenoid and cuneiform.
- Trachea lies to the anterior side of the esophagus; it is tubular in shape with a diameter of 1 inch. and length of 4.25 inch.
- Its length spans between the 6th cervical and 5th thoracic vertebrae.
- Is recommended to take prescription medicines to treat other accompanying symptoms like fever, headache, body ache, pain of any kind, etc.
- Antibiotics are required to treat bacterial bronchitis and bacterial pneumonia.
- However, antibiotics prove ineffective against viral infections.
Helpful Natural Remedies Inhaling steam from a tub of boiling water, or having a hot shower helps in loosening the mucus in the throat and sinus congestion.
Gargling Three to Four Times a Day is Recommended
If your child has a stuffy nose along with a dry cough, then help him/her sleep with the head slightly elevated. For this, you can use pillows or towels. This will help your child breathe more comfortably and sleep better.
Cough is a mechanism by which the body is able to throw away unwanted particles that have entered the throat and the lungs. One may experience intermittent bouts of coughing any time during the day, and is considered to be a protective response of the body that drives away all the undesirable debris from the respiratory system. However, coughing frequently everyday during nighttime is not normal and demands prompt medical attention. Be it children or adults, persistent night coughing gives a feeling of chest discomfort and disrupts a good night's sleep.
- As it is an airborne disease, cats can also get infected with kennel cough.
- Although cats do not show symptoms like cough, they can have a runny nose and fever.
Whooping cough, scientifically known as Pertussis, is referred to as "cough of 100 days" or "100 days' cough" in many countries, because it can last for up to 10 weeks.
- Help your child do a salt water gargle.
- To make the solution, simply mix 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in a glass of lukewarm water, and stir.
- Note: Salt water gargle is most suitable for kids aged 4 and above.
- Paste of honey and ginger is equally beneficial in reducing dry cough.
- Simply grind some freshly-cut cloves of ginger and mix it with honey, and administer three times a day.
- Along with the above-mentioned symptoms, night sweats and chills also indicate scarred lungs.
- Along with these symptoms, inflammation in the lungs is also indicative of its scarring.
- In case of lung scarring, it is always better to consult a doctor.
- Proper treatment can be given, only after finding the cause of scarred lungs.
- Lung transplants, drug treatments, and supplemental oxygen therapy are possible treatments.
- Scarring of the lungs is not dangerous in the initial stages.
- However, if the scars become intense, proper treatment is a must.
Dairy products, meat, or fried foods increase mucus production in the body, hence they should be avoided.
- Using a humidifier, or cool mist vaporizer at night, especially in winters loosens the phlegm in the throat.
- Adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a vaporizer also helps in relieving chest congestion.
Risks of Whooping Cough
As mentioned above, due to the availability of advanced treatment methods and vaccination, the chances of contracting whooping cough is relatively less. Secondly, due to the same reasons, the chances of death occurring due to whooping cough are further lessened. According to the statistics, deaths occurring due to whooping cough are as low as 0.2% of the total cases. However, this does not mean that there cannot be any possibility of death. As there are reported deaths caused due to this disease, one should be aware of the whooping cough risks and take care in order to prevent them.
Viral infections affecting the upper respiratory tract such as common cold and seasonal flu too can trigger barking cough in adults at night. In addition to night cough, these medical conditions are typically marked by sore throat, fever and body aches. Even after the viral infection associated with common cold has gone away, the patient may continue to experience dry cough that aggravates during nighttime and may last for quite a few weeks.
Dry cough is best treated with the help of home remedies that are effective and safe as well. Natural ingredients are to be used for these remedies. They provide long term relief and also prevent it from reoccurring. The above treatment and remedies should be followed as soon as dry cough is developed. If it is persistent or chronic, medical assistance should be sought for it, and once it has been cured, make sure you take appropriate measures to prevent it from recurring.
- Contrary to what many people believe, dry coughing at night is not limited to young children alone.
- It is something that affects people of all ages and backgrounds.
You Smoke, Stop It Immediately
Smoking only aggravates cough, therefore, it is wise to get rid of it completely. Fever, cough and infections can be prevented to a large extent by having a balanced diet and maintaining hygiene. Although these are not serious symptoms, you should not ignore them, because if left untreated, they can turn chronic. Take care!
Pulmonary Embolism During Pregnancy
Pulmonary embolism happens to be the leading cause of death during pregnancy. The risk of formation of blood in the lungs increases during pregnancy. This is because, during pregnancy, the flow of venous blood, especially in the leg region, slows down which increases the risk of blood clot formation. Moreover, increased bed rest, less mobility and hypercoagulability, during pregnancy also increase the chances of clot formation. Women with a history of DVT are also at greater risks of getting pulmonary embolism.
- Over-the-counter medicines just suppress the symptoms and do not completely cure the underlying cause.
- Therefore, it is essential to get the underlying cause diagnosed properly before opting for any medications.